A long time ago (okay, so maybe in December of 2007, but it feels like a long time ago!) I wrote 20k on a novel. I had the basic gist of an idea and then plotted it all out. In my head? It was an amazing, groundbreaking idea. Something I'd want to read. Something I'd pick up off the shelves...if our library carried dark/erotic yaoi fantasy. Still, it was something I was excited about. Of course, back then, I would write when the mood struck. And the mood stuck around for a month or two. I wrote 20k, then shelved it. I had it plotted all out. I could pick it up at anytime. Right?

So, trying to decide what to do for SocNoc, I came across the summary in my file. I was like, ooh, I could always pick up Fracture! It could stand being rewritten! I remembered most of it, even. I reread it; the writing wasn't bad for 2007, but I've improved. Read all 20k and decided, hey, I'll look for that orange folder containing all my notes for the ending and stuff.

Neckdeep in notes, I'm wondering what the hell I was smoking to write something so...plot-holey! I don't even get why one race is IN the novel. It doesn't have significance! I read through the notes and where it has a plot, it's weak and where it has a little bit of originality/creativity, it...needs alot-alot-alot of work. True, it might be an interesting novel if I could fill in the plot holes, fix up the characters' motives for things, and figure out what to do. But it is gonna be alot of work... Work for something that might not turn out good. Risky, sure.

I do want to go back to it...but I don't think SocNoc's the time.

Back to square one...

0 comments: